Propose content to be added to this site. Click here


Austria opted for alternative policy measures in combination with a newly introduced energy efficiency obligation scheme (EEO) to fulfil Article 7 of the Energy Efficiency Directive (EED).

Within ENSPOL Austria’s newly adopted energy efficiency obligation (EEO) scheme has been analyzed, exploring possible hurdles related to its introduction. In addition a general status quo of Austria has been examined by means of specific criteria, evaluating the actual capability and readiness to undertake such an obligation scheme. Furthermore the most important alternative measures have been analyzed by examining their key implementation and design features.

Design of Energy Efficiency Obligation scheme (EEO)

2014 Austria has introduced an energy efficiency obligation scheme (EEO) that will contribute to the implementation of Article 7 of the EED. 

Type of measures: All energy efficiency measures that reduce final energy consumption at final customers are eligible. It is a requirement for each obligated party that 40% of yearly savings have to be achieved with measures at households. The remaining 60% of savings can be achieved in any end use sector. 

Obligated parties: All retail energy sales companies selling more than 25 GWh in the previous year are obligated. Between 2015 and 2020 it is always the sales of the previous year that determines the obligation of the respective year.

Target setting: The annual energy savings target per retail energy sales company amounts to savings from energy efficiency measures of 0.6% of the energy sales of the previous year. Thus the target is updated annually. 

Calculation method savings: No details are defined yet. In principal all methods according to Annex V 1.of the EED (deemed savings, metered savings, scaled savings, surveyed savings) are possible.

Additionality: To ensure additionality, measures are only eligible if they achieve energy efficiency gains that go beyond exisiting regulations (e.g. minimum standards). Furthermore Measures from a selected group of public subsidy schemes are excluded from eligibility in the EEO. 

Monitoring& Verification: According to the Energy Efficiency Act, a control authority called “Monitoringstelle” is entrusted with control and verification of the EEO. Since May 2015 the Austrian Energy Agency has been appointed as the Monitoringstelle.

Control and Compliance: If an energy supplier fails to comply with his energy savings target he can pay an amount of 20 Cents per missing kWh for the respective year. This payment relieves him from the delivery of the missing kWh. 

Administrator - Institutional set up: The Monitoringstelle is responsible for the administration of the scheme. Energy sales companies report the compliance with their obligations to the Monitoringstelle.

Flexibility: Energy sales companies are the only obligated parties, but they can also comply with their obligation with measures from third parties (e.g. ESCOs, companies).

For the full Report on the Austrian EEO scheme click here.

You have no rights to post comments


Your opinion matters

How helpful is our site? Click the button below to leave your own opinion

Provide Feedback


Login to Enspol's Sharing Platform with your social account


Twitter Feed

Our Newsletter

Error : Please select some lists in your AcyMailing module configuration for the field "Automatically subscribe to" and make sure the selected lists are enabled

Subscribe with our newsletters and receive our latest news and events


Get In Touch



Designed by